Skip to main content

Washita Battlefield

We were keeping an eye out for National Parks & Monuments along the way. We purchased a National Parks pass before our trip as we planned on visiting several places in AZ and it would be more economical to go that way. But, this also opened up many opportunities to make "quick" visits to additional parks along the way. This was also what we used for school while we were on the road. The Jr. Ranger programs are wonderful! Some parks are better than others, but all in all a great wealth of information. I learned so much in working through the books with the girls.





Washita Battlefield was the first National Park that we stopped at. It is located in western Oklahoma about 20 or so miles north of I40. I must add in here how much we loved Oklahoma! Yes, the "breeze" was a bit much at times. But, the temperature was perfect, no humidity and no bugs! It was so beautiful looking out across the site. We pretty much enjoyed everything about Oklahoma. Well everything that we could see from I40.


Walking through the exhibits at the visitor center really brought me great sadness. It just brought to the front of my mind the great evil that existed, and actually still does. So many people died on this one day. And there have been so many days like this. Fortunately the Jr. Ranger book focused more on the Indian culture and not just the battle. I am not sure how much my sensitive girls could have taken at one time.


Here are some pictures from the battle site. Enjoy!


At the trail head they had flip cards to take with you for what became our "mom guided" tour.


I thought these were so cute. They are actually smaller than what they appear in the picture.


Josh really liked the "piggy-back" rides, Dad not so much.



The girls were fascinated with this creek. They all tasted the water (after we told them not to). Apparently it tasted like water!


View from somewhere on the trail. Just breathtaking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In-ten-tion-al-ly

adverb : intentionally, deliberately, on purpose, purposefully, knowingly, wittingly, consciously, in full awareness Intentionally That is my word for 2015. A word that requires action. To live with intention; on purpose! To purposefully go about my days. No longer moving from one task to another just because it needs to be done. But to work towards an overall goal while doing those same tasks.   The goal with intention and purposeful living? To be purposeful in the role God has called me to. To be deliberate in sharing my faith. To be diligent in pouring over the scriptures. To be intentional when it comes to loving (RESPECTING) my husband.  To be purposeful in teaching my children and training them in righteousness. To make decisions according to knowledge, not flippantly or because that is what I am 'expected' to do. (Especially not because that is what I am expected to do.) To consciously create an atmosphere in our home that nurtures love, joy and contentment.  ...

Dream and have Courage

I walked down to the marsh today to see what my crazy dog was barking at. Instead of that, I found where my kiddos have made "their spot". They have carried all the cut offs and extra pieces from other projects and started a tree house pile.  I imagine they have been sitting in these little blue chairs. Sitting, looking up at this big, beautiful oak and dreaming about the great tree house that they are talking their daddy into building. Planing it all out in their minds. Little minds that think big grand plans. Fun plans. The kind of plans that I think too often adults forget to have. Or at least I know I don't take the time for. And I know I don't take the time needed to make these plans come to be.  There is always the immediate. The things that have to happen. All of the daily tasks that need to be checked off the list.  This was a reminder for me today. While there are a lot of things that need to be done, I need to chip away at the big, grand plans t...

The Rat Race

Does it ever feel like you're in a rut??? I sure feel like one lately. It is such a shame that so much of life is just a big built in routine that leaves no time for the things that truly matter. You have to get out of your box and take a step away from the routine and make the time for those things (or more importantly ~ people) that really matter. Where are the real treasures of life? Surely not the gold and silver that are stored up on this earth ~ those seem to not matter much especially in our current day with economic crisis. The true treasures are those that are not always tangible ~ the ones that are stored up in Heaven. The lessons that we teach our children, the time spent with a loved one, or more importantly a stranger, those times that we are furthering the work of our Lord and Savior ~ these are the true treasures of life! It is to unfortunate that life gets in the way of this. The life of routine, the rat race! So, as you have probably guessed that it what...