Skip to main content

The Scoop

Why I ventured into homemade laundry detergent, I am still not so sure. I think that my ultimate goal, as it is with most things, is to save money. I try to be a "savvy shopper" and for me that is not just about shopping. It is also about finding ways to save on things that we use every day. Maybe I should say I try to be a "savvy saver". Either way I had been hearing about laundry detergent from other moms at park day and read where a friend had made some. I figured what have I got to lose and my stockpile of detergent was dwindling. I purchased the ingredients and made it. Here is what I used.

This recipe is supposed to last for approximately 4-6 months. I figured we would be around 3-4 months as we seem to have many, many loads of laundry each week. I prefer powder over liquid detergent so this fit. PROS: The clothes came out clean. I didn't have to put in anything extra. I did still use bleach for my whites. Not sure if it was needed or not, but I have always used bleach for my whites. CONS: The clothes didn't smell. You may be thinking this should be a pro. In one sense that is true. Of course you don't want clean clothes to smell. But I'm not talking about dirty, stinky smell. I like my clothes to have a smell of freshness. One of the probable reasons I use bleach is because I love the way the clothes smell when they come out of the dryer. With this detergent, the clothes have pretty much no smell at all. I ended up buying some of those new scent boost crystals. Of course I love them! My clothes smell great. However, even with coupons, they are expensive! So I decided that it went against my "reasoning" for making laundry detergent, if I am still going to have to go out and buy extras for my laundry. Which, by the way, I can get detergent that I like for much less between sales & coupons, like a couple dollars. My other con was that my batch of detergent only lasted me for about a month to two months. I had meant to keep track of a load count, but that didn't happen. I do approximately 6-10 loads of laundry a week though.

I have not yet given up on my hope of saving with detergent though. I made up a second batch, but then the very next day spoke to someone about liquid detergent. She said she used the Duggar recipe and it was great. And because it is liquid you can add essential oils for fragrance. This fixed my main con so I decided it couldn't hurt to try. Especially since all I had to do was buy a 5 gallon bucket, I had the rest on hand. I have been using this for about six weeks now. I have not added the oils for fragrance yet, but I get a hint of fragrance from the soap that is used. Clothes are clean. I should get about 180 loads, so about 4-8 months depending on how many loads I do a week. Hopefully with some new rules for my clothes changing girls we will get closer to the 8 month mark.

So that's the scoop on my experience with homemade laundry detergent. I will make sure to let you know when we finish out the first batch of Duggar soap.

Comments

Meems said…
I didn't know you blog! I just purchased items to make launry detergent, and now I know I need to get some scented oils. Thanks for the info!
Michele said…
I use the recipe in the blog link below. I don't add the oxyclean though. Mine definitely has a scent. I use a fabric softener recipe with essential oil that smells like Gain...love it! If you need a link to the essential oils, let me know.

http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com/2010/11/homemade-laundry-soap.html?m=0

Popular posts from this blog

Tuckered Toddler

Webb and I got home one night from a night out alone (few and far between these days) and little Sam had fallen asleep on Cat's bed. Just too cute not to snap a photo.

Where have I been?

So I just foud this "new" quilt shop not even 5 mintues from the house. Turns out not so new, has been around for almost 2 years. Where have I been.....oh yeah, way too busy doing way more than I should be. I have enjoyed the time home with my babies so far. I definitely think that I have more than enough to keep my busy at home for those who thought I wouldn't. And my house is getting back to some sort of order (its about time)

I want to be a loser

I hate to admit how complacent I have gotten with being healthy.  I know what I need to do which makes it much worse than just being ignorant.  I know how to count calories (or points).  It's a simple equation more output than input.  Add in chaos and the need of convenience and it no longer seems quite as simple.  In addition to the chaos I have a huge weakness for sugar!  Preferably the chocolate variety.  But really any sort of 'sweet' will do.   My hubby and I came to a so called agreement right after Christmas.  I will give up sweets and he will give up soda (his weakness).  "Give up" is so very harsh.  Neither of us has been perfect with it.  He of course has done much better than I.  Unfortunately for him I am weak and when I have given into my sweet tooth I have tended to bring him a Coke.  Oh only upon typing that out did I realize how horrible I have been.  Did it take anyone else back to Genesis?  Ouch.  The above reason though is why accountability in