Skip to main content

Wise words

If you are not familiar with Lamplighter books then all I can say is you need to be! These books are wonderful! They are so very full of God's truths. We read a chapter each night (actually usually more as they are VERY hard to put down) and right now we are in The Basket of Flowers. The following words spoke straight to my heart tonight.


Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart,
and lean not unto thine
own understanding. In all thy ways
acknowledge Him, and He shall direct
thy paths."

A father is imparting wisdom unto his daughter and explains the verse and then talks about what happens when we do not first seek our Heavenly father.


"Indolence and Sloth will whisper to you, perhaps that if you are busy or tired, there is no great harm in omitting your daily prayer, and Presumption will add that you are in no particular peril at that moment. Procrastination will say that another time will do as well as your stated morning hour, and Self-Indulgence will plead for a little less strictness. Evil tempers, murmuring and wandering thoughts will try to distract your attention during prayer, if you cannot be quite hindered from it. When you feel the risings of these evil things within, my child, flee to Jesus".
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I know that this rings true for me. Very sadly so. My quiet time has wavered over the years. It has been so easy for me to feel "too busy" for my time in God's Word. What a crazy thought! It is His Word that I need to get through my crazy and busy days. When I rationalize with myself that I will make time later, I usually end up with a very tired and hurried prayer as I am settling into bed at night after a day that usually has been a roller coaster. Oh, the many times Satan has distracted during my quiet time. Even getting up at an earlier hour has brought its distractions to me. But, this cannot be an excuse to forgo time set aside with the Lord. I crave this time and need this time with Him. My days are not magically perfect when I seek Him first thing. But, they are more focused and I am not as easily apt to fall into temptations throughout the day. It is only through His Word and the fellowship with Him that I am able to get restoration for my soul so that I can go through a day and bring Him glory. Just like a car, you can't run on an empty tank.

Dear Lord,
Please keep me from Indolence, Sloth, Presumption, Procrastination and Self-Indulgence. Let me keep You as my first priority each and every day that You have blessed me with. Help me to "Seek ye first" each morning and not let anything else into my mind before You. Thank you Lord for the privilege to come to You for help and guidance. Amen.



**If you are not familiar with Lamplighter you can find them here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuckered Toddler

Webb and I got home one night from a night out alone (few and far between these days) and little Sam had fallen asleep on Cat's bed. Just too cute not to snap a photo.

Where have I been?

So I just foud this "new" quilt shop not even 5 mintues from the house. Turns out not so new, has been around for almost 2 years. Where have I been.....oh yeah, way too busy doing way more than I should be. I have enjoyed the time home with my babies so far. I definitely think that I have more than enough to keep my busy at home for those who thought I wouldn't. And my house is getting back to some sort of order (its about time)

I want to be a loser

I hate to admit how complacent I have gotten with being healthy.  I know what I need to do which makes it much worse than just being ignorant.  I know how to count calories (or points).  It's a simple equation more output than input.  Add in chaos and the need of convenience and it no longer seems quite as simple.  In addition to the chaos I have a huge weakness for sugar!  Preferably the chocolate variety.  But really any sort of 'sweet' will do.   My hubby and I came to a so called agreement right after Christmas.  I will give up sweets and he will give up soda (his weakness).  "Give up" is so very harsh.  Neither of us has been perfect with it.  He of course has done much better than I.  Unfortunately for him I am weak and when I have given into my sweet tooth I have tended to bring him a Coke.  Oh only upon typing that out did I realize how horrible I have been.  Did it take anyone else back to Genesis?  Ouch.  The above reason though is why accountability in