Skip to main content

Putting off the old

If indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in
Him, just as truth is in Jesus, that, in reference to
your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self,
which is being corrupted in accordance
with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the
spirit of your mind, and that you be renewed in the
spirit of your mind, and put on the new self,
which in the likeness of God has been created in
righteousness and holiness of the truth."
Ephesians 4:21-24

It is so tough to lay aside my old self at times. But, with Christ all things are possible! As I am made more aware of his truths I must choose to obey or not to. I have done the "not to" so many times in the last 4 and a half years and have found that it is so much easier to just obey the first time. Growing pains are rough at times, however, I am grateful for them. It is through them that I grow closer to my heavenly Father.
I'm sure you have guessed by now that we are going through some growing in our home right now. In the past 7 and a half years my hubby and I have made quite a video collection for ourselves. God has been working on both of us and we are both to a point where we know we have to do something about it. Recently at Mothering from the Heart marathon (www.mfth.org) Audrey said "If you don't want your kids to find it - don't have it in the home". There is so much truth to this, even in the best hiding places, or when you relax for a moment and forget.?. Well, I have rationalized that "I don't let my children watch them". But, if my children can't watch it why should I let the filth enter my mind and home. What we fill our minds and hearts with, is what comes out. We are weeding out our "great" collection. There were 30 that right away we both agreed could go in the "out" pile, and have stacks left to weed through. But what to do with them. Do we sell them or at least give them away, or toss them? Should we be the facilitators of filth entering someone else's mind? It is so hard to see so much money literally be thrown out. It frightens me how far away from God and His plan that we all are when left to our flesh.
So, what would you do with them?

Comments

Michele said…
I completely agree that if it's not something the kids should see, it's probably not something I should see. I would just throw the videos away.

Popular posts from this blog

Tuckered Toddler

Webb and I got home one night from a night out alone (few and far between these days) and little Sam had fallen asleep on Cat's bed. Just too cute not to snap a photo.

Where have I been?

So I just foud this "new" quilt shop not even 5 mintues from the house. Turns out not so new, has been around for almost 2 years. Where have I been.....oh yeah, way too busy doing way more than I should be. I have enjoyed the time home with my babies so far. I definitely think that I have more than enough to keep my busy at home for those who thought I wouldn't. And my house is getting back to some sort of order (its about time)

I want to be a loser

I hate to admit how complacent I have gotten with being healthy.  I know what I need to do which makes it much worse than just being ignorant.  I know how to count calories (or points).  It's a simple equation more output than input.  Add in chaos and the need of convenience and it no longer seems quite as simple.  In addition to the chaos I have a huge weakness for sugar!  Preferably the chocolate variety.  But really any sort of 'sweet' will do.   My hubby and I came to a so called agreement right after Christmas.  I will give up sweets and he will give up soda (his weakness).  "Give up" is so very harsh.  Neither of us has been perfect with it.  He of course has done much better than I.  Unfortunately for him I am weak and when I have given into my sweet tooth I have tended to bring him a Coke.  Oh only upon typing that out did I realize how horrible I have been.  Did it take anyone else back to Genesis?  Ouch.  The above reason though is why accountability in