Skip to main content

Washita Battlefield

We were keeping an eye out for National Parks & Monuments along the way. We purchased a National Parks pass before our trip as we planned on visiting several places in AZ and it would be more economical to go that way. But, this also opened up many opportunities to make "quick" visits to additional parks along the way. This was also what we used for school while we were on the road. The Jr. Ranger programs are wonderful! Some parks are better than others, but all in all a great wealth of information. I learned so much in working through the books with the girls.





Washita Battlefield was the first National Park that we stopped at. It is located in western Oklahoma about 20 or so miles north of I40. I must add in here how much we loved Oklahoma! Yes, the "breeze" was a bit much at times. But, the temperature was perfect, no humidity and no bugs! It was so beautiful looking out across the site. We pretty much enjoyed everything about Oklahoma. Well everything that we could see from I40.


Walking through the exhibits at the visitor center really brought me great sadness. It just brought to the front of my mind the great evil that existed, and actually still does. So many people died on this one day. And there have been so many days like this. Fortunately the Jr. Ranger book focused more on the Indian culture and not just the battle. I am not sure how much my sensitive girls could have taken at one time.


Here are some pictures from the battle site. Enjoy!


At the trail head they had flip cards to take with you for what became our "mom guided" tour.


I thought these were so cute. They are actually smaller than what they appear in the picture.


Josh really liked the "piggy-back" rides, Dad not so much.



The girls were fascinated with this creek. They all tasted the water (after we told them not to). Apparently it tasted like water!


View from somewhere on the trail. Just breathtaking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuckered Toddler

Webb and I got home one night from a night out alone (few and far between these days) and little Sam had fallen asleep on Cat's bed. Just too cute not to snap a photo.

Where have I been?

So I just foud this "new" quilt shop not even 5 mintues from the house. Turns out not so new, has been around for almost 2 years. Where have I been.....oh yeah, way too busy doing way more than I should be. I have enjoyed the time home with my babies so far. I definitely think that I have more than enough to keep my busy at home for those who thought I wouldn't. And my house is getting back to some sort of order (its about time)

I want to be a loser

I hate to admit how complacent I have gotten with being healthy.  I know what I need to do which makes it much worse than just being ignorant.  I know how to count calories (or points).  It's a simple equation more output than input.  Add in chaos and the need of convenience and it no longer seems quite as simple.  In addition to the chaos I have a huge weakness for sugar!  Preferably the chocolate variety.  But really any sort of 'sweet' will do.   My hubby and I came to a so called agreement right after Christmas.  I will give up sweets and he will give up soda (his weakness).  "Give up" is so very harsh.  Neither of us has been perfect with it.  He of course has done much better than I.  Unfortunately for him I am weak and when I have given into my sweet tooth I have tended to bring him a Coke.  Oh only upon typing that out did I realize how horrible I have been.  Did it take anyone else back to Genesis?  Ouch.  The above reason though is why accountability in